Open / Close Module Close Module

For the latest results, tables and fixtures go to the league website: 

Open / Close Module
Open / Close Module Close Module
Open / Close Module Close Module


Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register
Ist X1 0 Wilsonians 2 (aet)
OIFC Forum1st XI Reports.

Posted in 1st XI Reports.
Members Viewing Topic: None

Post New TopicPost Reply
Prev Topic :: Next Topic
Author Message

Admin Group
Admin Group

Joined: 27 September 2010
Posts: 127
Posted: 11 November 2016 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote dog

Old Wilsonians 2 – 0 Old Ignatians AET
AFA senior Cup
MOM – Tom Martin
Muppet – Eoin Cullicramps

After what can only be described as the most embarrassing performance imaginable, a 7-1 loss to Bealonians, the first team made their way to Kent to face a strong Old Wilsonians side in the AFA Senior Cup.

All arrived on time, with the exception of Joe McHugh, who decided to turn up a minute before kick-off. The boys seemed to be in good spirits, and looked to make amends for the shocking performance from the week before. We all began by celebrating the news that Sean Noland had been dropped to the 2’s… just kidding!

With the Old Wilsonians version of John O’Brien threatening to report us to the police if we urinated on the bushes or trees, the gaffer, Dave O’G began to shake as he realised he’d left his ‘wee bag’ at home.

Anyway, onto the game. We lined up with Joe McHugh in goal, Liam O’G, Eoin Cullicramps, Matt O’Sullivan and Callum Barton in defence. Steven English, Renaldo Gracias, Tom Martin and Eoin O’G across the midfield. This left Jake Watson up with Conor O’G in what would be his first start in 8 months. This left Sean McDermott on the bench with Callum O’G, who was back from Uni for the weekend.

We started off much more positively, keeping the ball well all over the park, and creating a few opportunities in and around their area. Steven English found himself wide open 3 or 4 times, with Jake Watson deciding to kick the ball as hard as he could off the pitch every time, instead of slotting Steve through.

Steven and Liam O’G started brightly down the right side, with the latter of the two’s head slowly morphing into a 50p with each header of the ball.
A nice bit of skill in the middle of the park from Renaldo, saw him play Jake through from around half way; Jake sweetly struck a first time shot from about 30 yards, which was just tipped over the bar by the oppo’s keeper. From the resulting corner, Eoin Cullicramps found himself on the end of a Conor O’G corner, and had the ball in the back of the net, only for the goal to be disallowed by the ref for an apparent push in the back on one of the Wilson defenders.

0-0 at half time with a lot of positives to draw on, against a good footballing side. The players got their water on board to reenergise for the second half. Tom Martin elected for his usual half time can of Fosters, which would put him in good stead for the second half. More of the same and more importantly – no mistakes were the orders from Dave O’G, who had already wet himself twice after the earlier threat from the oppo’s Chairman; onto the second half..

It was as if Eoin Cullicramps completely disagreed with everything the gaffer had said at half time, and decided to begin the second half running on his knees, and played the Wilson striker through one on one with big Joe in goal. Thankfully, their striker had a shocker, and blazed the ball wide and over.

After a good first half performance from Jake Watson, he was an early contender for Man of The Match, until he decided to show us all his best Casper impression, and disappear from the game completely.

Dave O’G decided to change things round a bit around the 55 min mark, as Sean McDermott and Callum O’G came on for Steven English and Eoin O’G.

Joe McHugh, who played well all game, pulled off a few great saves to keep the score level, although in truth, we probably should have been 1 or 2 down. Liam O’G managed to head every ball either off the pitch or to a player on the other side, as well as every one of his throw-ins, straight to a member of the oppo every time.
Conor O’G, who had little impact on the game, came off for Steven English, in an attempt to liven things up in the forward positions.

Unbelievably, around the 70 minute mark, Eoin Culligan went down with cramp, and had to come off for Eoin O’G. Good to see those 3 gym sessions a week paying off for Cullicramps, who was pretty much nailed on for muppet from that moment.

Everyone was working well all over, as the score remained 0-0. People were committed, everyone looked comfortable on the ball. Tom Martin and Renaldo bossed the midfield, each member of the defence looked solid, the wingers looked to create and kept the ball well, and the two boys up top were causing havoc when the ball reached them up top.

Last kick of the 90 mins fell to Eoin O’G, who found himself about 30 yards out with a free-kick. Everyone urging him to hit the target, this was his moment… he smashes it over the bar, disappointment spread over the boys faces. With that, the whistle went, and we quickly moved into extra-time.

10 mins into the first half of extra-time, Eoin O'G found himself one on one with their keeper, it was his chance to make up for the poor free kick from earlier – he goes to shoot, the keeper goes down, he has the whole goal to slot the ball into… pea rolls the ball straight into the arms of the keeper – very disappointing again.

From that, the oppo went up the other end, and scored a sublime goal, not much the team or keeper could do to prevent it.

Onto the second half of extra-time, Conor O’G comes back on for Steven English. Eoin O’G played a delightful ball through to Conor, who took the shot on with the wrong foot, and finished poorly into the keepers hands.

Conor then found himself in the right back position, and switched the ball across to Callum Barton, who played well all game. He decided to spend the next 5 minutes on the ball, before playing one of the oppo through, who finished the chance well, leaving Joe with no chance. 2-0.

The game quickly came to an end, and the boys were left feeling disappointed. A lot of positives to take from the game however, against a good team, who have won the cup twice in the last 3 years.

Man of the match went to Tom Martin, who worked tirelessly all game. Muppet was a close call between Eoin O’G for missing the sitter, and Eoin Culligan for going down with cramp after bragging about the work he puts in off the field. Cullicramps took muppet, and went on to destroy Tom Martin in the whack off.

A much better performance all over, leaving everyone feeling a lot more optimistic about the season ahead than they did the week before. Onto next week against Crouch End Vampires in the AFA Middlesex cup. COYOI’s

Conor O’Grady
  Status: Offline
View dog's Profile Search for other posts by dog
1 User(s) are browsing this topic, 1 Guest(s) and 0 Member(s)
0 Members:
<< Prev Topic 1st XI Reports. Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Forum Jump
[ Members browsing page: none ]

This site is best viewed at 1024x768 screen resolution.
Back to Top