Open / Close Module Close Module

For the latest results, tables and fixtures go to the league website: http://www.amateurfootballcombination.co.uk 

Open / Close Module
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register
1st XI vs Old Economicals
OIFC Forum1st XI Reports.

Posted in 1st XI Reports.
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  one_reps

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 December 2016 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote one_reps

Ignatians 0 Economicals 4

Team:
JP
Dan Porter, Liam O’G, Eoin Culligan, Callum Barton,
Tom Martin,
Steven English, Sean McDermott, Eoin O’G,
Ren
Brendan

Subs: Matty O, Alex Y, Callum ‘he refs when he wants’ O G

The afternoon began with a change in plans. Due to our referee crying off last minute the 2’s ref was asked to do the 1’s whilst the 3’s ref took on the 2’s. This left the 3’s without a ref. If only there was a qualified referee amongst our midst. Up steps Callum O G who considering he’s spent the last 3 months necking dirty pints, sh*gging munters and consuming chips with gravy looked in pretty good shape. Callum who was down to play kindly offered (what a hero) to ref the 3’s who were kicking off earlier than us before coming on us a sub for the 1’s.

So you think the referee set up was a bit of a farce. You haven’t heard anything yet. Introducing our very own newly appointed ref Napoleon Dynamite. He was described to us before the game as the worst referee in the league and he seemed to want to prove a point to his accessor that he was exactly that. Unfortunately though the ref wasn’t to blame for our defeat so onto the game.

After back to back wins in the League we went into the game with a new found belief whilst conscious that the oppo were going to be a stronger outfit than we had come up against in the 2 weeks prior. We started well enough and we are able to get the ball down and play but it was evident from the off that they were dangerous and had pace in abundance. The first scare was when the number 11 Marc Overmars knocked the ball 50 metres behind our pacey Right Back Porter making him look as slow as Ren downing a pint. Fortunately their Lone Forward was unable to put away the pull back. Their Forward had another chance just 5 minutes later when a through ball slipped past our defensive line putting him through with just the keeper to beat. This time he kept his cool and slotted it beyond JP giving the keeper no chance. 1-0 Economicals.

My memory is a little blurry on their second goal. I was still getting my breath back after chasing their Winger. Independent sources tell me the play was built up on our right hand side before being crossed in and put away in style by Marouane Fellaini on the half volley. 2-0 Economicals and they were flying high. It was around this point that I noticed Matty O keeping the fans entertained as he tried to pick up a non-existent ball without looking- muppet shout surely?
Economicals third came shortly before half time with a ball whipped in from their left headed in by Marouane at the back post who had a free header. Marouane for a hat-trick?

At half time there were some hard words shared between the boys. It was accepted by all that we weren’t doing enough and needed to up our intensity all round the park in order to get a foothold back in the game. To the jeerz of the fans Matty O was brought on for Liam O’ G. Alex also came on for Steven English. We started the second half a little brighter and probably had more of the ball. We were however a little wasteful with possession giving it away to easily which repeatedly gave them the opportunity to catch us on the counter attack.

One of these occasions left Callum Barton isolated in the middle of the pitch with Overmars running at him with the ball. Their winger was able to knock the ball past Callum stop for a cuppa and pull the ball back for Fellani (who was well onside) to complete his hat-trick. Considering this was for 4-0 his celebration was a little over the top. At this point Matty O decided to get out the Salt and Pepper shakers and explain to the ref the offside rule. Little did the ref know however was that Matty was making up the rules. Once the ref had ascertained that the attacker had not been behind every Old I’s player, the manager and his dog when the ball was passed he overruled the goal without telling the oppo who were now set up all within their own half.

The game lack all discipline after this with quite a few rash tackles and a few yellow cards including Tommy Martins 5th of the campaign which saw him suspended. (impressive work) I’m no psychic but I’m anticipating Liam O’G stepping into his shoes just fine next week. We made a double change with Callum O’G and Liam O’G coming on for Eoin O’G and Tommy not O’G who was surely going to get himself sent off at any moment.

Economicals got their 4th 15 minutes before the end and the game just fizzled out. A very disappointing result and performance left a somber feeling in the dressing room afterwards.

The mood had just about risen by the time we did Man & Muppet. Callum Barton got man for a solid performance at Left back whilst Matty O got muppet for continuously knocking the ball out play from set-pieces. 6 times in one half.

On to next week, COYI’s

Porter
View one_reps's Profile Search for other posts by one_reps

1 User(s) are browsing this topic, 1 Guest(s) and 0 Member(s)
0 Members:
<< Prev Topic 1st XI Reports. Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version