Open / Close Module Close Module

For the latest results, tables and fixtures go to the league website: http://www.amateurfootballcombination.co.uk 

Open / Close Module
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register
5’s Home v Mill Hill Village Res Won 5-2
OIFC Forum5th XI Reports

Posted in 5th XI Reports
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Dirtyleeds

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 March 2010 at 10:31pm | IP Logged  

5’s Home v Mill Hill Village Res Won 5-2

Scorers : Eamon McGarvey 2, Scott Farmer 2 and Colum O’Driscoll

We made a welcome return to Enfield Playing Fields for our home match v Mill Hill Village Reserves, and this was the first of 6 Cup Finals that we still have to play in this League!

We played on what used to be our 1st 11 Pitch, Nr 3, and it was in excellent condition. I knew that the surface and the size of the pitch would assist us, as we are a side who are able to play the ball about all over the park, and we are now playing with effort, commitment, simplicity, skill and endeavour to beat whoever we play, and maybe our last defeat against Leyton County V was the kick up the you know what that we needed as a team, to keep our feet on the ground.

Dan Woolley won the toss and elected to play against a strong wind, and at times in the first half we dug in deep defensively. Before the game the message was play ourselves up the pitch on the ground, and this we did.

The first half saw both sides evenly matched and we came in level at 2-2, goals scored by Eamon McGarvey and Scott Farmer from the penalty spot, and their goals came mainly as a result of the clever movement of their number 14 who was pure class, a young gifted player who will obviously progress to play at a much higher level than Div North 8.

Half-time there was one main gripe that I had, and this was mainly aimed at our younger players – I said that the only person who is entitled to criticise anyone was me, as I watching from the side of the pitch, and I did not want to see this on the pitch. As I was on a roll I also said that I did not believe that we had played well as a side (when deep down this was not the case!).

My half-time talk worked – now that’s a rarity. We were playing more for eachother, and as the game went on we looked stronger. I was also confident that we would beat them playing with the wind behind us.

We went 3-2 up through the impressive Scott Farmer who had given their centre-half a real test, and it is always good to score a brace when Mum, Dad and Sister are supporting you!

Then on 70 Minutes same as the week before T-Bar came off to be replaced by Mick Ward, with Chris Jackson moving to Centre-Half and Scott Farmer moving momentarily into Centre-Midfield, for the recovering old man of the side to go upfront. Credit must be given to Tbar for playing in pain too, and I am sure that the opposition never realised he was carrying "an injury" – this guy is a real man, a rock who dominated any aerial threat, and off the pitch he is a gentleman too. He is our Dennis Watson.

The change was made to defend our lead, but other players in our side had other ideas, as we seemed to up the ante, none more so than Sam Ward in centre midfield who was dominating proceedings in the middle of the Park. Scott and Eamon upfront were running their opposition defenders ragged. Furno and Gary on the flanks were playing an important part too. In defence we looked assured, and did not fall apart after T-Bar went off, and Tim Burles was never threatened in this half.

Eamon McGarvey scored goal number 4 for us, Sam then hit a post from distance, and then Colum O’Driscoll, ensured that Furno continued his goal scoring run with a superb 40 yard chip! 5-2 to the 5’s and that’s how it finished!

Let us be level headed about this result, as the scoreline probably flattered us, as it was a much closer game than a 5-2 win. Also, if Dan Woolley had not kept their number 14 quiet in the second half, they certainly would have tested Tim Burles more.

On a positive note we finished superior, fitter and stronger, none more so than Furno – who proves that going to the Gym works.

There were some great performances throughout our side and we had a triple Man of the Match Award shared between Chris Harrington, Chris Jackson and Scott Farmer. What is interesting to me is that the votes were evenly spread between the side a defender, a midfielder and a striker, which proved how well we played as a team. And that is not taking into consideration the extra that Tim Burles gave us being in goal too.

Next Saturday is arguably our Cup Finals against Edmontonians V, and I see these matches as a 12 pointer, as it is a DOUBLE HEADER! Whoever wins will be in with a big shout of a TOP TWO FINISH!

Saturday was a great result for us against DECENT opposition, and one of our best team performances of the Season!

View Dirtyleeds's Profile Search for other posts by Dirtyleeds

1 User(s) are browsing this topic, 1 Guest(s) and 0 Member(s)
0 Members:
<< Prev Topic 5th XI Reports Next Topic >>

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version